Tuesday, November 18, 2014

I feel like chicken tonight.....


Okay so I feel like chicken most any night.
 I love chicken!

So a couple of weeks ago when I began this new quest with my crock pot I found this recipe for Hawaiian Chicken and thought mmm that sounds yummy. So I gave it a go (minus the chilli sauce, cause yea no I'm not that kind of adventurous) and we found it to be lacking. Now maybe that was because of the missing chilli sauce. So I did some research. Yes I had to research because remember I'm not the kind of person who posses the kind of knowledge about food to know what works together and what doesn't. So I did some research and had also come across a marinade in my local grocery store. 

Today I set to task to make a better Hawaiian Chicken. I put 6 boneless/skinless chicken breasts in a large ziplock bag with the Hawaiian marinade for about an hour and a half. I laid pineapple slices in the bottom of the crock pot and poured a little of the juice from the can in. I placed the chicken pieces on top of the slices and poured in a whole can of pineapple chunks (minus the liquid). I added 1/3 cup of brown sugar to the pineapple juice that remained from the first can and mixed it up then poured it over the top. Put the lid on and set it to high for 3 1/2 hours. 

And it came out much more flavorful. It was tangy and delicious. I served it with white rice.
 okay okay I know not the greatest picture. But I was super anxious to eat it. ;)
And just so you can see, this is the marinade I used. I shop mostly at Aldi and they have several different kinds of liquid marinades. This is the first one I've used. A+ so far ;)
And of course my picky eaters had pasta. Plain old pasta. At least it is so much easier for me to serve dinner now.

I will admit I am a bit intimidated by some of the recipes I find. I don't like particularly spicy foods. So when I come across recipes that call for things like chilli sauce or a dash of cumin or the like I tend to stay away from them out of fear. I fear that I'll make the dish and not like it and then I'll have worked on a meal I cant/wont eat. What a bummer. :/ I realize in omitting some of those called for ingredients I'm doing a horrible disservice to the recipe whereby probably making the dish more bland than it actually would be. Its a fear I'm aware of and I will do my best to over come. In the meantime I am trying to make life a little bit easier or at least more manageable.

Of course as with any great adventure comes great mess and the dishes can sometimes be overwhelming and pile up pretty quickly. Especially when I decide to bake cupcakes with the kiddos for a special dessert.
Which leads me to this.........
I think I might be getting a dishwasher installed. Maybe it will be a Christmas present. Wouldn't that be the ultimate? It would mean losing a much needed cupboard and I will be sad for that but I will gladly make that sacrifice.

I shouldn't get ahead of myself and get my hopes up. But........I might anyway.

That's all I got for now.

I'd love to hear your favorite crock pot recipes. Please share.

No comments:

Post a Comment